Saturday, August 28, 2010

blessings

One of the reasons I like to volunteer is purely selfish. It makes me feel good to see good people doing good things. I am surrounded by bad news. Internet news, t.v. news, talk radio news, and those who just like to complain. I find it exhausting. When I go to any kind of volunteer event, I am struck by how tough it is to wallow in any kind of pity party. Most everyone in attendance is there to help. When you help, you're outside yourself. Your feelings become secondary. You put your energy into making whatever it is work. I find it life affirming to watch people give of themselves. Helping really does benefit the giver. We like to think it's pure selflessness to give. While there is a hope that one gives from their heart, so much is given back. It's like nourishment to me. It's the only thing I do that is good for me. It heals me every single day.
Today my kids and I picked up trash at a local site. Over 100 people volunteered their Saturday to help clean up a really big mess made by other people who simply didn't care. It was wonderful to see that area go from garbage to gorgeous in about four hours. But the best part were the participants. Not one ego among them. Just a bunch of people from all walks of life, young and old, picking up junk. We all felt good. It was satisfying to be there. It's the right thing to do. And really, can we all just sit around harboring bad news when there is so much good news to be made? I can't do it. Bad wears me out. Good brings me back.

No comments:

Post a Comment