Sunday, July 11, 2010

reality check

Ok. So there I was a couple hours ago, scooping M&M cookie dough onto cookie sheets when my daughter's friend asked me "Why DO you bake so much?" She said it with sincerity, and it went through my chest like a dagger. My daughter stopped and looked at me. She mumbled a few words because she knows this is one of those subjects I'm hypersensitive about. She said "obsession?", I said, "yes". She said, "addiction?", I said "yes". She never assumed I just enjoy baking, because who would when you bake the same thing over and over again. It's not like I'm testing recipes or working at a bakery. I'm spooning the same dough over and over again. It's a problem. She asked me if I eat the cookies. I said, "not really. I just eat the dough." Again, ugh. Will it stop me? No. Should it? Yes. Life is like that sometimes.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! This post reminds me of the episode of Grey's Anatomy where Denny Duquette died and Izzy bakes and bakes and bakes and...you get the picture. I mean there's muffins EVERYWHERE!

    This also reminds me of how sensitive I'd get when my sister would ask, "Why do you only love unavailable men?" Ack!

    ReplyDelete